I’ve been enjoying reading all the end-of-year posts for those YOP’ers who are working the July year-start. One of my favorite parts of this group is seeing all of your plans – keep ’em coming 🙂
This week, here’s what I’ve worked on:
Roses of Avon shawl: I have the main body pattern of floral lace done. I am 4 rows away from finishing the first border and then have 40 more rows of the final outer border to complete. I talked with my friend, Jocelyn, who owns Serendipidye Fibers and we decided to keep this as a single color shawl and not add in a second color for the outer border since it would bump up the cost of the kits quite a bit. The base yarn is a beautiful alpaca/silk/cashmere fingering weight and I love the soft celadon color she picked for the sample. I designed this one a decade ago for a Shakespeare-themed lace shawl club I hosted, and I’m happy to say that the design is still fun to knit. I would really like to get this finished up in July so I can block it, update the pattern and get some photos of this single-color version for her as well.
Next, after finishing up the Faded Socks (see my FO post on those) I’ve cast on a couple of new pairs of socks. I’ve been working on a pair of simple sportweight “slipper socks” as a mindless project. I’m using two colors of Madeline Tosh Work Sock Sport for these, which will be a gift for a friend of my mum’s. They are working up very quickly and are super squishy. I’ve also cast on for the Bevy Socks, designed by Miriam Felton, using Spun Right Round’s 80/20 sock base in the colorway “Float on By”. Must be all the bright sunny days we’re having but I’m really drawn to cheerful colors right now as opposed to my usual tendency towards gray and grayed-out colors.
The Tour de Fleece is underway as well, and I’m happy to report I’ve finished up the second of the 4 colors in the gradient pack of mixed BFL I’m spinning. I have 2 oz of each of the 4 colors, and I’m spinning these up into a 2-ply fingering weight. Not sure of a final project for them, but I certainly would have enough for a pair of striped socks or, with 8 oz or so finished yarn, I’d have enough for a shawl. (I am going to try to actually knit with some of the handspun I’ve produced this year! It tends to wind up in storage bin and I have a lot of great handspun yarn I could use but don’t get around to using for one reason or another.) Here it is with the bittersweet orange skein I spun up at the end of June. I’m currently working on the chocolate brown in the set.
Finally, I’ve also been working a bit on my Desert Mandala. I’ve gotten the one flowering bush finished up, complete with the straight stitch clusters and groups French knots for the flowers themselves. I also finished up the beetle and I’ve started on the scorpion. I realized yesterday when I went to start the beetle that I had put the beginning stitches of the scorpion’s body in the wrong place, so those all had to come out to be restitched today. The beetle is almost entirely done in iridescent beads, which I don’t think show very well on this photo (which also has slightly off colors and that big shadow – I was trying to show the texture of the stitches) but I do love working with beads.
That’s it for me this week! Hope everyone is enjoying the season where they are!