It has been a week here for sure. The fire that is about 10 miles to the west of us is now over 37,000 acres and the county moved us to the middle phase of evacuation prep. We are in a small suburb south of town proper and if the winds yesterday continue as they are today, the fire will likely threaten town more than us. Last time (10 years ago) they evacuated town but not our little area, but with the winds forecast with red flag warnings again today, it’s anyone’s guess where things will go. The smoke has been very bad so we’ve got the house closed up, and of course, we have as much stuff prepped to go as we can. They’ve been monitoring this one really closely so I think we’ll have time to load the vehicles but it’s not easy to make decisions about what goes or stays other than making sure we and the animals get out safely.
Enough about that! I’ve been stress-crafting because that’s what I do so lots of things to talk about. First up, I did make some progress on my Desert Mandala project again this week. The thunderbird and feather motif section is done. I brought the outside border down to the center point, and I started the landscape vignette. Will continue to work on this as I can.
Next up, I also did some spinning and I’m about 2/3rds of the way through this second bobbin of singles. Hoping to get those all done this week and then I could get this languishing batch plied up.
The new term for the Harry Potter group I’m in started last Sunday, so I have cast on for a whole bunch of things for classes and Quidditch. First up, I have a colorwork cowl on the needles. This is Static by Kacey Herlihy and I’m using two DK-weight natural sheepy colors to knit mine as I wanted a really graphic version. Before the smoke picked up Saturday, my faithful companion assisted me with some porch knitting (and stick guarding). I expect to have this one finished up this week.
I also worked on the second of the By Naughty Design socks I started in (gasp…) January. I actually finished these up last night but it’s still early enough I don’t have good light for photos of the finished pair, but they are looking something like this:
I also cast on for a colorwork hat using two half-skeins of fingering weight. This is the Timberland hat which I’ve had in my queue for a while. The yarn was originally a sock kit for a pair of stranded colorwork socks. It’s a heavier fingering weight and I hadn’t knit the pattern because I felt like the socks were going to be bulkier than I like with the stranding. I’m sorry I waited so long to use the yarn because it is wonderful (a merino/bamboo blend from The Unique Sheep) but I think it’s going to have a better life as a hat than it would have as socks.
Finally, I also dug deep into stash and pulled out 3 balls of Spud and Chloe Fine that have been waiting for a while to be made into something. I cast on for the 3-Color Cashmere Cowl from Joji Locatelli. This is a simple knit, with bands of stockinette, easy eyelets and stripes. I have a bright turquoise blue for a bit of contrast that will make up the third color of the set.
That’s it for me this week other than a handful of crochet squares for a blanket, but no pictures of those at this point. Hope everyone has a great week!