A few of the things I’ve been working on this week:
- I finished up the Pussywillow Cap (Ravelry link). This is a nice, basic ribbed hat that knits up quickly using one strand of sock yarn held together with one strand of mohair. I used Travelling Yarn’s 757 Sock in Alchemy of Herbs and their Mohair in Jade. Despite being a very easy, beginner-friendly pattern, this one has some really nice details like the decrease on the crown. (And it’s a free pattern too!) It knit up into a not-super-tight beanie, with just a bit of slouch and the mohair yarn added a lovely soft fluffy halo. FWIW, I am now addicted to finding sock yarn and mohair combos that would work together and foresee knitting quite a few of these in the future! The pattern does only come in one size, but I think you could easily size up to an adult large by using a DK-weight yarn and going up a needle size or two.
2. When I finished the cap, I had just a bit more than half a skein of each of the yarns leftover, and I found a pair of fingerless mitts which, although they are from a completely different designer, match the broken rib on the hat brim and which also, nicely enough, called for just under the amount of yardage I have left – Win/Win! These are the Woolen Pine Mitts (Ravelry link) and I will be using the same yarns I noted above. I think these will make a nice warm set to wear together.
3. I’ve also been working on my Sprocket Socks (Ravelry link). I don’t think I’ll get both socks in the pair done for Socktober, but that’s okay. A friend saw these on IG and loved the colors I’m using so we’re going to do a trade of these socks for one of her wool punch pillows! Sock one is finished and I’ll probably start sock two for the beginning of the month. These are kind of addictive and I love that they use up minis or scraps.
4. Finally, I’ve been trying to make progress on my Oregon cardigan. This is a Virtual Yarns/Alice Starmore kit that I’d been in love with for years and was gifted a year or so ago. I finished the body, grafted the shoulder “seams”, and cut the first sleeve steek, picking up the sleeve stitches to start working on that this week. I’d like to try to get through half the sleeve this week but this is a project that takes a fair amount of mental bandwidth so we will see how far I get.