This week has completely gotten away from me between work and my DH being on business travel and errands and life. I started this post Wednesday but completely zoned getting photos and then pushing the publish button, so eh… let’s close the week out with a 2-day late WIP Wednesday, shall we? I’ve been working on several things this week outside my YOP projects. I did finish my Saligna test knit but more on that once the pattern releases next week.
First up, I cast on for another pair of socks. I’m always on the look-out for interesting patterns that use minis as I’ve got a lot of those in stash. The Sprocket Socks (Ravelry link) by Pip and Pin looked very fun and whooboy! They are addictive to work on. The pattern is written with specific instructions for 5 mini skeins, but Megan also adds in a “formula” version so you can substitute in what you have on hand or would prefer to use while keeping the slip-stitch patterning in line with the original. I decided I wanted mine to be a bit taller in the calf, so I’m opting to use 6 mini skeins in a “grellow” palette, 1 medium and 1 light gray tonal and 3 speckle dyed colors (1 grayish and 2 yellow-orange-ish) plus a miniskein of black for the cuffs, heels and toes with a bit of sparkle. I could see this pattern knit up in oodles of color groupings, and a 100% scrappy version would be fun too. Each of the stripes only takes 2-3 g of sock yarn so you really could use up any and all sock yarn oddments if you chose to do so.
Next, I cast on for a simple hat using a strand of sock yarn and a strand of mohair. This is a free pattern, Pussywillow Cap (Ravelry link) that I think will be a nice basic, very warm hat for the winter. I’m using two yarns from Travelling Yarn, her 757 Sock in the Alchemy of Herbs colorway held along with her mohair in the Jade colorway for this one.
Finally, I got my Oregon cardigan out and put in some work on that this week. I have just a few more rounds to go to finish up the body and do a 3-needle bind-off for the shoulders. From there, I’ll tackle one sleeve steek and get that first sleeve on the needles. I think I’m on track to meet my goal to have that first sleeve knit by the end of November. After that, it’s technically a project I’ll finish up in Q1 of 2022 but I may just leave this one out for a while and continue to work on it and see how far I get before this year is over. There is still a fair amount of finishing to be done with the front bands and finishing the steeks once the knitting is done.